Find U-Pick Pumpkin Farms
Welcome to the hearty, colorful world of pumpkin picking! Pumpkins are a symbol of fall and harvest time, and there is something incredibly special about walking through a patch to find the perfect one.
Whether you are planning on carving a jack-o’-lantern, making a pie, or simply decorating your home, pumpkin picking is an experience that embodies the spirit of the season.
The Pumpkin Picking Experience
Pumpkin picking is more than just selecting a vegetable; it’s a beloved fall tradition.
The anticipation of the search, the joy of discovering the perfect pumpkin, and the pride of carrying home your chosen gourd make this a unique and delightful activity for people of all ages. Walking through a field dotted with bright, round pumpkins, feeling the crisp autumn air, and hearing the crunch of fallen leaves underfoot create memories that last far beyond the season.
Most u-pick pumpkin farms also offer other Fall activities such as corn mazes, hayrides, games and food. They make picking a pumpkin an all day event that offers fun for the whole family.
Don’t forget to get a few extra pumpkins to make that homemade pumpkin pie!
Where To Go For Pumpkin Picking
Pumpkins are hearty and can be grown in many areas across the United States. However, some regions are particularly known for their pumpkin patches:
- Illinois – As the top pumpkin producing state in the U.S., Illinois offers plenty of opportunities for U-pick pumpkin experiences.
- Ohio – With its large agricultural output, Ohio provides numerous pumpkin patches for visitors to explore.
- Indiana – Known for its vast farmland, Indiana is another great state for pumpkin picking.
- Pennsylvania – With a strong tradition of fall harvests, Pennsylvania offers plenty of U-pick pumpkin options.
- California – The state’s diverse climate allows for a long pumpkin growing season, making California a great place for pumpkin picking.
Pumpkin Picking Seasons
The pumpkin picking season generally aligns with fall across the United States. Most U-pick pumpkin farms open up their fields in late September and continue through October. However, the exact timing can vary from region to region and year to year, depending on local weather conditions.
Your prime time for picking pumpkins will be early October.
Remember to check with your local U-pick pumpkin farm for their most accurate and up-to-date picking schedule.
Tips for A Successful Pumpkin Picking Experience
When embarking on your pumpkin picking adventure, keep these tips in mind:
- Dress Appropriately: Fall weather can be unpredictable. Wear layers and sturdy shoes for walking through fields. Also, be prepared for potential mud if it has recently rained.
- Inspect the Pumpkin: Look for a pumpkin that is fully orange and free of blemishes or soft spots. The stem should be firmly attached but avoid carrying the pumpkin by the stem as it may break off.
- Think About Use: If you plan to carve your pumpkin, you might want a large one with a flat surface. For cooking, smaller “pie pumpkins” are often better because they have sweeter, less watery flesh.
Pumpkin picking is a wonderful way to celebrate the fall season. Enjoy your time exploring the patch, and happy picking!
How To Find Pumpkin Farms Near You
Are you looking for a u-pick farm that offers pumpkins? Simply find your state below to quickly find all of the farms near you that offer pumpkin picking. Be sure to verify the open season, hours of operation and if the farm is currently offering pumpkins before driving to that farm.
With our state county maps, it’s easy to see where in your state you can find u-pick pumpkin farms. The green highlighted counties will show you farms that offer pumpkin picking.
Gray States: If you see your state in gray that means we do not currently have a u-pick pumpkin farm listed there. We are adding new u-pick farms all of the time, so if you do not see a farm in your state please come back soon.
If you know of a farm that is missing, please help us by adding the farm here.