Find U-Pick Apple Farms
Are you looking to pick your own apples at a local farm? The crisp air, the crunch of leaves underfoot, and the array of apples in hues from green to golden to rosy red – apple picking is an amazing Fall activity.
Whether you are planning to make apple pie, cider, or simply enjoy fresh, juicy apples straight from the tree, apple picking is a delightful way to celebrate the season.
The Apple Picking Experience
There is a certain magic to be found in an apple orchard. Tall trees laden with fruit stretch out in rows, their leaves rustling in the autumn breeze.
Apple picking allows you to spend a beautiful fall day outdoors, while also providing the opportunity to learn about different apple varieties and how they are grown. It’s an activity that’s fun for all ages and perfect for families, friends, and anyone who loves apples.
Picking apples has been a top family fun tradition for many people. Apples also offer a large number of uses such as, creating apple butter, apple pies, apple crisps, tarts, in salads, and for simply just eating.
Where To Go For Apple Picking
Apples grow well in many parts of the United States, but here are a few states particularly known for their apple orchards:
- Washington – The state is the nation’s largest apple producer, known for its diverse variety of apples.
- New York – From the Hudson Valley to the Finger Lakes region, New York offers numerous U-pick apple opportunities.
- Michigan – With numerous apple orchards scattered across the state, Michigan offers a wonderful apple picking experience.
- Virginia – Nestled in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia’s apple orchards offer not just fruit, but also stunning views.
- California – Known for a wide range of agricultural products, California’s cooler coastal and mountain regions are excellent for apple growing.
Apple Picking Season
Apple picking season can vary based on the local climate and specific apple variety:
- In Washington and Michigan, the apple season typically starts in August and can extend through October.
- New York and Virginia usually see their apple season from late August to early November.
- In California, depending on the region and variety, apple picking can start as early as July and extend through November.
Remember to check with your local U-pick apple farm for their most accurate and up-to-date picking schedule.
Tips For A Successful Apple Picking Experience
When planning your apple picking outing, remember these tips:
- Dress appropriately: Autumn weather can be unpredictable. Dress in layers, and wear sturdy shoes for walking in potentially uneven orchard terrain.
- Pick correctly: To pick an apple, roll the apple upwards off the branch and give a little twist. Don’t pull straight away from the tree.
- Choose the right apples: Look for firm and brightly colored apples with no bruises or blemishes.
Apple picking is an enjoyable way to experience the fall season. Savor your time in the orchard, and enjoy the fresh, delicious taste of your own hand-picked apples!
How To Find Apple Farms Near You
Are you looking for a u-pick farm that offers apples? Simply find your state below to quickly find all of the farms near you that offer apple picking. Be sure to verify the open season, hours of operation and if the farm is currently offering pumpkins before driving to that farm.
With our state county maps, it’s easy to see where in your state you can find u-pick apple farms. The green highlighted counties will show you farms that offer apple picking.
Gray States: If you see your state in gray that means we do not currently have a u-pick apple farm listed there. We are adding new u-pick farms all of the time, so if you do not see a farm in your state please come back soon.
If you know of a farm that is missing, please help us by adding the farm here.